A riddle...
What:
- will grow in any climate at any time of the year
- requires neither soil or sunshine, but is still rich in vitamins and minerals
- has not been subject to chemical sprays while growing
- is extremely economical and in preparation has no waste
- contains more than double the nutritive value of fresh fruits and vegetables
- can be grown indoors within a minimum amount of space
- can be stored with your year supply of food
- matures fully in 3-5 days ... ?
The answer... sprouts!
We are on a quest to learn the art of sprouting - an ingenious way to be able to store all of the nutritional benefits of fresh fruits and veggies on food storage shelves in seed form. Sprout seeds of almost anything (fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts) can be stored long term and can then be sprouted within 3-5 days to provide variety and enhanced nutrition to boxed and bottled goods.After researching the topic a bit and learning these things, I was fascinated that sprouts provide more than double the nutrients of regular fresh fruits and vegetables, PLUS the seeds can be stored, so we decided we had to become better at learning how to sprout seeds in our own kitchen.
My first few batches failed miserably, and we realized we needed help from an expert. Shortly afterward we flew Great Grandma Lewis here for some Sprouting & Food Storage 101. This special lady has been sprouting and teaching food storage for longer than my lifetime and she lives what she teaches.
Grandma eats sprouts every day along with other nutrient rich foods, avoids sugar and meat, and thus she is quite literally the picture of health (i.e. bikes around town for errands instead of driving, completed a 27 mile boy scout hike with the local troop at the age of 82, and doesn't need much sleep because she has so much energy...).
Needless to say, her sprouting demonstrations opened my eyes to this incredible food. Admittedly, I am still a novice at this ancient art, but each batch turns out a bit better than the last and someday I hope to be a pro like Grandma.
What a joy to have her here! To connect with her stories of the past and make new stories together with our children. She is truly an inspiration to our family.
We hope Great Grandma Fletcher can come out for a visit next... we miss you!!
3 comments:
What a fabulous visit for your family. I am sure the kids had a great time with her and all her stories. You may have to share your new sprout knowledge.
I was thinking about asking you about sprouting. I know we talked briefly about it a few months ago. I'll give you a call--I'm excited to hear what you learned. What a fun visit!
I'd love to learn more about sprouting, too. I made a sprouted bread once and it was amazing, but a little work intensive.
And Grandma really does look like the picture of health. I've never seen an 82 year old woman hold a baby like that. Love it!
Post a Comment